Occurrence and Laboratory Preparation Of Methane Gas | Physical and Chemical Properties Of Methane Gas
- By Muneeb Jamal
- Hits: 4198
1. Occurrence Of Methane:
- Methane is the simplest compound in alkanes series with molecular formula CH4.
- It is the major compound of natural gas which in found in association with petroleum deposits.
- It is found in swamps and marshy places where vegetation decay in the absence of oxygen takes place.
- It also occurs in cool mines, where it is known as fine damp, because it explodes very easily.
2. Laboratory Preparation Of Methane Gas:
Methane is usually prepared in the laboratory by meeting sodium occtate (CH3cooNa) with soda lime (mixture Of Cao + NaOH)
A mixture of dry sodium occtate and soda lime is heated in a glass tube. Reactions takes place and methane gas is produced, which is collected over water in gas jars.
CH3cooNa + NaoH ---> CH4 + Na Co3
3. Physical Properties Of Methane Gas:
- Methane is a color-less and odour-less gas.
- It is insoluble in water.
- It is soluble in organic solvents like alcohol etc.
- It is lighter than air.it is a natural gas.
- Its boiling point is -162C.
4. Chemical Properties:(Reactions Of Methane.
The important chemical properties or reaction of methane are as under.
Methane reacts with chlorine in direct sunlight with explosive and carbon is deposited.
CH4 + 2Cl2 ---> C + 4H2O
In diffused sunlight or ultravoild rays, chlorine reacts with methane without explosion and mixture of products is obtained. These products are obtained by successive replacement of hydrogen atom in the methane molecule by chlorine atoms.
CH4 + Cl2 ---> CH3Cl + HCl.
CH2Cl + Cl2 ---> CH2Cl2.
CH2Cl2 + Cl2 ---> CHCl3.
CHCl3 + Cl2 ---> CCl4.
Methane burns in excess of air or oxygen to form carbon-dioxide and water with the liberation of heat.
CH4 + 2O2 ---> Co2 + 2H2O.
In limited supply of oxygen methane react oxygen to form carbon monoxide along with water and carbon.
3CH4 + 4O2---> 2CO + 6H2O, C